One of our favorite appetizers is the “Bloomin’ Onion” from Outback. I was so excited when I found this recipe on Spoon Fork Bacon. The baby size onions make a great option for an appetizer night at home.
I have to warn you. These pictures are graphic and for adult cooks only. In other words… I am a messy cook.
Baby Bloomin’ Onions
At first glance, I thought this recipe was too involved for my quick and easy mantra, but it really didn’t take that long and they were delicious!
Mix the dry ingredients.
Pour buttermilk into a bowl for dipping the onions.
Combine the flour mixture for dredging.
Fry the onions in hot oil 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
Drain the onions.
They look so cute!
And they taste delicious with the Bloomin’ Onion Dipping Sauce (on the left in above picture.) The red sauce is simple ketchup. I love ketchup with my onion, too!
Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cream-style horseradish sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 1/3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- To make sauce: In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, ketchup, horseradish, 1/3 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon oregano, a dash ground black pepper and cayenne pepper; mix well. Keep sauce covered in refrigerator until needed.
We had a fun night of appetizers for dinner. We had meatballs, baby bloomin’ onions, buffalo chicken dip with firecrackers. The buffalo chicken, firecrackers and meatball recipes will be in a separate post. Have you ever served appetizers for a family dinner?