Happy Valentine’s Day for a Southern Heart
Happy Valentine’s Day from Heart for Dixie
So are you staying in for a romantic dinner at home or going out on the town? Regardless, here are a few ideas from Heart for Dixie. A little pink, a little pasta with candlelight, fragrant flowers and a tulle skirt, will make your lady feel like a prima donna on this Valentine’s night.
Spiral Pasta with Meat Sauce
- 1/2 package (16 ounces) spiral pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef and onion in olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the spaghetti sauce, tomato paste, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Stir pasta into meat mixture. Transfer to a greased 13×9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Casserole can be frozen up to 2 months, if you want to make it in advance. Leave cheese off until ready to bake.
- Bake casserole, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through.
Pair with a nice Chianti for a perfect meal.
A Southern Outfit for a Night Out
A great outfit for a southern Valentine’s Day, is a tulle skirt with boots and a denim jacket. Kylie with Dress in Sparkles has the perfect combination.
If you are married to “Cotton-eye Joe,” then swirl your skirt away on a sawdust covered dance floor. Your living room will be fine if you’re staying in. Here’s a southern dance playlist for a night to remember.
- Cotton Eye Joe
- Can’t Help Falling in Love – Elvis Presley
- The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down
- I’m Goin’ to Jackson – Johnny and June Cash
- Sweet Home Alabama – Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Dixieland Delight – Alabama
Finish the night with a latte, a gift of pink roses and a donut covered in pink icing and sprinkles. What girl wouldn’t feel like a prima donna after a Valentine’s like this!?